Grand Champion Requirements
Grand Champion Awards will be presented to Advanced Competitors (4 or more years of experience).
- Be sure you have entered the required divisions and checked the Grand Champion box on the Registration Form. You must register by May 15, 2023. Onsite registration for Grand Champion will not be accepted. There must be a minimum of 3 competitors for Grand Champion in any category for the award to be presented.
- All Traditional Weapons Categories require that the weapon be able to hold its own weight when placed on its tip. For Wushu Weapons Categories, the standardized IWUF weapons must be used. Wushu weapons are not permitted in Traditional Divisions.
- Grand Champion Competitors must place 1st in at least one event (1 Gold Medal) and have a minimum of 17 combined points (Gold 10 points, Silver 7 points, Bronze 5 points).
- Short Weapons are sword and saber. Long weapons are staff and spear.
- For Kids and Juniors Divisions, Other Weapons include Double Weapons and Flexible Weapons. However, weapons with acrobatic techniques such as Drunken and Monkey do not qualify for Grand Champion and are not allowed.
- For Teens and Adults Divisions, Other Weapons include Dao, Cha Ma Dao, Pu Dao, Guan Dao, Miao Dao, Tiger Fork, Two-handed Straight Sword, and other exotic weapons as well as Flexible Weapons (such as 3-Sectional Staff, Rope Dart, and Chain Whip), and Double Weapons (such as Double Daggers, Double Sabers, and Double Hooks).
- Acrobatic styles such as Drunken and Monkey, and Weapons Forms that include more than one acrobatic technique, DO NOT qualify for Grand Champion. These forms must be entered in Open Divisions.
- Grand Champion Competitors must attend the Awards Ceremony during the Masters Showcase or forfeit the award to the next runner-up. PLEASE BE DRESSED IN FORMAL UNIFORM.